Wednesday 13 July 2011

Dairy Free Creamy Curry

This curry is one I have been playing with for a little while, mainly in my slow cooker. It reminds me of Korma. Initially I just threw stuff into my slow cooker that I thought would work and hey presto it actually turned out to be great. This curry is very much a sweet mild creamy curry but for those of you who haven't had a creamy curry in a long time due to lactose intolerance or being a vegan then this is defiantly a nice change to my normal tomato based curries!

I found that this works well in the slow cooker on the low setting for about 4 - 5 hours. I tried it in my slow cooker last night for 3 hours on high setting and it burnt. My version does not use any meat, but I am sure if you were to seal some chicken in a pan before throwing it in it would do well!

Serves 3 - 4

Ingredients

1 onion, finely chopped
1 mushroom, quartered
1 caugette, cut into chunks
2 bananas, cut into chunks
2 tsp easy garlic or 2 - 3 garlic cloves pressed
Handful raisins
1 can coconut milk
1-2 cups of ground almonds dependent on our thick you like your curry
3 tsp mango chutney
2 tbs tikka massala paste
Handful chopped coriander

Instructions

1) Chop the mushrooms, courgette, onion, garlic, bananas.
2) Gently fry the onions with the garlic, then add the mushrooms and courgette.
3) Add the tikki massala paste to the vegetables and coat well, leave to fry for a few more minutes.
4) If using a slow cooker, transfer to the pot otherwise keep in the pan.
5) Add the coconut milk, ground almonds, banana, mango chutney and chopped coriander to the pan or slow cooker.
6) For the slow cooker leave to cook away until ready, use a high heat for 2 hours cooking time or a low heat for 4 hours cooking time.
7) if using a pan, leave to simmer with the lid on, and the pan on a low heat for 20 minutes. Now is a good time to put the rice on!

No comments:

Post a Comment